Chicken Pox ments
Chicken pox can leave us with scars for the rest of our lives, so it is important to soothe itching, and minimise scratching and scarring by ing chickenpox symptoms. What are chicken pox?
It is an infectious disease that is being caused by the virus varicella zoster virus that affects most children at some stage in their childhood. Even though most babies are given a vaccine shot against this illness, there are still some who get it; however, the symptoms are less severe and the pox or spots are less in number. And since the immune system makes anti-bodies when the person gets the infection, one case of chickenpox in a lifetime is all you have to worry about. Rarely that someone gets it again. What are the signs to watch out for when your child gets chickenpox?
Before the rashes appear, you can expect that your child will get a fever, body aches as well as headaches. It may seem like your child will be coming down with flu. And then after a few days, the rashes will start to appear in red spots that will eventually develop into small blisters. These are really itchy and can be found in almost all parts of the body, including the face.
Some children may also have none or very few spots. It is also common to have dry cough or sore throat. Generally, children will feel sick for a few days. The intensity of feeling unwell varies from child to child; some are mildly ill while others may be feeling sicker. After a week, most of the children who have chickenpox will feel much better. Blisters will dry up and form scabs, which eventually fades. However, when the child scratches it and gets infected, that is when it leaves a mark or scarring. How to handle chickenpox? ment is mainly targeted at minimizing the effects of symptoms such as:
- Fever management - give the child Paracetamol with the dosage that is appropriate for the child's age. Put some cream that are especially formulated to soothe itch and pain of the blisters.
- You may also give him antihistamine to provide temporary relief for the itch, especially at night so he can sleep better.
- And make sure to keep his fingernails short and clean at all times since you can expect that he will do a lot of scratching.
- Anti itch creations can help stop infection and soothe itchy skin.
- Colloidal oatmeal or pinetarsol baths can help take the sting and soothe itchiness.
Prices are Inclusive of GST (sales Tax).